Friday, May 15, 2015

"Well, that's just the way I am."

I believe in the Savior. I believe that His Atonement has no bounds and that it can heal anything. I don't believe that there is a weakness in this world that He can't heal. It's disappointing to know that people say, "That's just the way I am." That's called giving up. That's called laying down. It's not the way God wants us to be.
I understand that life is difficult and that we all have our trials. I understand that some of those trials might last a lifetime. Paul himself had a thorn, but we can't give up. Do we really believe in God? Do we really think He can change us?
One of the best lessons that I have learned comes from a paragraph in Preach My Gospel. "As we obey God, He blesses us. He gives us power to meet life’s challenges. He helps us change the desires of our hearts. Through our faith in Jesus Christ, He can heal us, both physically and spiritually."
It's one thing for a parent to tell their child, "No, you can't have a piece of candy." It's another thing altogether for them to say, "No, stop wanting a piece of candy." I don't really understand how, but God can help us not want to do evil. It's a miracle that doesn't take force. It doesn't take threatening.
"41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; 42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile— 43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;"
God follows these rules too.

No comments:

Post a Comment